[dev update] Weather and Geophysic System Live + Debugging, Local Surface/Region UI (90%)
June 04 Update; Status of the work for this 0.6.17 version:
- [DONE] Adding assets: New Infrastructures and Production Modes.
- [DONE] Weather and Geophysics System (WEAGES).
- [DONE] Unified Resolution System (URES)
- [WIP] Adding assets: 2D pictures and icons.
- [WIP] Full UI standardization.
- [New: DONE] addition of 3 icons that will be used for surface temperature, rainfall and wind speed in the Region section of the Local Surface.
- [New: WIP] rendering and addition of 4 pictures that will be used for the season in the Ecosphere section of the Local Surface.
- Infrastructures (database)
- Data Addons and Modifications
- [New: DONE] Nuclear Fission Reactor: small adjustment in requirements; Space Surface – Max Level.
- Interface – General
- [New: DONE] full addition of the possiblity to display temperatures in degrees Kelvin (default) or in degrees Celsius. It is implemented now to support a future option.
- Interface – Local Surface
- [New: DONE] the panel has now constraints to prevent to reduce its size below a required minimum. It prevents display bugs.
- Geological Survey
- [New: DONE] the user’s interface is deactivated for now since the Planetary Exploration System (PES) will be revamped.
- Region’s Data
- [NOT DEV => WIP] the current season is now displayed into the Ecosphere section.
- [New: DONE] the display bug of the Oceanic land type is fixed. There was an error due to abscence of Relief value.
- Interface – Unified Management Interface
- Research & Development Tab
- [New: DONE] fixed an error in the display of the name of the selected Research Domain.
- [New: DONE] fixed an error in the display of the name of the selected Research Fields.
- Research & Development System (RDS)
- [New: DONE] The Research Domain “Culture” is removed, since its elements are or will be assumed by the Socio-Political Matrix. In final, there are 7 research domains (or tech trees).
- [New: NOT DEV] basic implementation of planetary features; creation of specific data structures and generation of planetary features when a new game is in process.
1/ I updating the user’s interface for the Region and Ecosphere sections of the Local Surface Panel. The Region part is nearly done, see the screenshots for different regions below:
As you can see it has expanded a bit, along with some icons (that I will colorize).
In the examples above the displayed temperature, rainfall and wind speed are the modified ones with seasonal progression and rules of variation over the average data.
These average data, displayed between , are calculated according to the position / current day of the revolution period vs the seasons. For a same day, they stay the same from one year to another one. It’s why I introduced rules and calculations to varies these data and to become less previsible. Like in reality the average weather data stay… average.
FYI these screenshots have been taken at the first day of a new game, so no weather effect is applied, but these ones works (at least the two that are implemented) and they really affect the face of a region.
Here are the 2 same regions but 3 months later (so after the summer solstice of Epsilon Eridani 2):
As you can see many things have changed, just remember that this planet is at 0.49AU of its K2 star and one of its secondary atmospheric gas is H2O.
The orbit eccentricity of this planet is also pretty high with 0.241 (compared to Earth with its 0.016).
So as you can see, it’s not because the environment of a planet is somehow “Earthlike” that it’s a joy to live on it
The last part for the Region section is to add some information about which Regional Weather / Geophysical Effet is in effect in the selected region. It will not be pretty for now but I will also add icons in the next development version.
The Ecosphere part is the one that will be modified the most (you can see a crude drawing of it in the previous post) and since I also added two other things: the current day of the year and the tectonic activity.
So this way the player will have a complete view of the currently selected orbital object, which isn’t a luxury since they now move around their star.
I don’t have any screenshot yet but I will show you one once this part will be done.
2/ I also debugging the Weather and Geophysic Effect. I haven’t made much mistakes (I promise!!!) but some logic bugs for something as complicated as this system are a usual pain.
Anyway it is fully working now, I even seen a few RWE around (you can see the screenshot below:
The older saved game file is in the upper part, and the newer is in the lower part.
As you can see region 8 of Eps Eridani 2 had the joy of a heat wave, but it only lasted for one day and had entered into the cooldown mode the next day.
Region 9 had a RWE in cooldown, but since it was only for one day (keep assured that is pretty variable and most of the time > 1 day) it has been cleaned up the following day.
Region 10 had Heatwave already in cooldown with 8 days left, and 7 days the next day (as it should be).
Anyway all that to say that the whole is working, and as said some times ago the WEAGES work with a parallelized main loop since more than one planetary system will exist in the game (a few will finally be added for the next version).
That’s all, have a good night and good Wednesday