[dev update] Weather Effects (55%) + Process Subsystem (65%) + Unified Resolution System
April 29 Update; Status of the work for this 0.6.17 version:
- [WIP] Adding assets: New Infrastructures and Production Modes.
- [WIP] Weather and Geophysics System (WEAGES).
- [WIP] Unified Resolution System (URES)
- Adding assets: 2D pictures and icons.
- Full UI standardization.
- [New: DONE] the compiled executable uses now a new version of the UI framework TMS Component Pack, 22.214.171.124.
- [New: DONE] the common and custom function to give an integer random number included into a specified range has its calculations corrected, to finally use the correct range.
- Unified Resolution System (URES)
- [New: NOT DEV] implementation of the core of this system, which is simply a generation and resolution subsystems.
- [New: NOT DEV] a sub-data structure is added into the one of the regions and it contains the list of Region Environmental Modifiers, for all the available categories, directly linked to all the active Regional Weather / Geophysical Effect(s).
Of course these REM depends on the rules of each effect. This centralized sub-data structure will allow a direct and easy acces to the sum of modifiers.
- Weather and Geophysics System (WEAGES)
- [WIP => DONE] core implementation, and linking into the time flow.
- Regional Weather Effects
Sorry for the lack of news but I’ve been busy between my day job, another hobby, and design decision for the resolution system of FARC (see more details about it below). I also finally finalized the template of weather and geophysical effects.
I also totally finished the design of Heat Wave and it is full implemented in the game. I’m at 70% to complete the design of Cold Wave, which was pretty fast because I used the Heat Wave rules and calculation as a starting framework to work on it. Outside of some calculations, the difference will be in how the scope of regions where Cold Wave will be effective will progress over the time since the Cold Wave will “move” from regions to another. For sure it will not be a full climate model, it’s only a game after all hehe, but at least it reproduces some behavior on an abstracted way. Heat Wave stay effective only in the region it’s triggered, but the trigger test is made through all the admissible regions.
Yes certain weather effects will move, and some other will be collateral from other effects, including geophysical ones; just imagine the geophysical effect Volcanic Eruption being triggered and creating Ash Plume/Clouds spreading to neighboring regions…
The susbsystem that process these RWE / RGE is implemented at 65%. What’s left to do isn’t much complicated vs what has been implemented.
I also planned to add a custom data structure for Region Environment Modifiers (REM) linked to weather effects. It’s one consequence on these weather effects; they will affect certain parts of activities that will happen in the regions of the orbital objects, like; the building of infrastructures, offensives, planetary survey, even when space units will enters the atmosphere of a planet and try to land on its surface.
There will be another effects in the future, like the linking to specific colony events and so on.
As a reminder, the REM are sets of modifiers specific for a particular activity on a region. It exists already on set of these modifiers for each region of each telluric planet and asteroid.
These are generated by design when a planetary system is generated, via the FARC Universe Generator, according to multiple data mainly located into the geophysic and ecosphere sections.
Finally, I also added a new point for the release of this version, the implementation of the Unified Resolution System, or URES by its nice acronym…
This system is derived from the core system of a tabletop RPG system and generate a probability of success based on three data in input: characteristic, capability/skill, and difficulty.
This unified system has a global scale of difficulties and permit a wide range of modular inputs from many parts of the game.
The first system that will use it will be the planetary survey. Later, the unified combat system will use it too, including a full set of characteristics and capabilities for the space units based on the details of their differents design.
This system also include a scale of success and failure; total failure, significative failure, failure, normal sucess, significative sucess and critical sucess. the use of this range of outcome will varie according to the rules of the systems using it.
Have a good night (or day) and stay tuned.